The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Ichabod Crane




Here's a sampling of the work I did at Animation Collaborative in the Advanced Character Design Workshop with Chris Sasaki. 

 I realized pretty quickly how tight my drawings are when I'm using a pencil or a tablet, so I started experimenting with an ink well, a paintbrush and a skewer. The results weren't bad at all :)

I started with film studies of characters like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, and Ryan Stiles from Whose Line is it Anyway? I looked to Gene Wilder and Woody Allen for hairstyling and quirks.




In the end, I settled on an Ichabod Crane who is controlling, selfish, and a self-proclaimed know-it-all without any real-life experience.
I did a lot of experimenting and Sasaki really helped me hone in on a solid character.
Next post will be about my Headless Horseman character :)