Sunday, February 17, 2013

Life Update & Tutorial!


Been super busy lately! But here's a tutorial. It's been a long time since I've updated and thought why not do a tutorial of what/how I create stuff? Yeah.

Process: (Just how I do things, not an end all "how to" thing)
1. Start with a rough sketch in photoshop. Usually I have previously sketched out my ideas on napkins, sketchbooks or during a meeting in a notebook.
2. Rough out colors. I may try out several iterations before choosing a final color palette.
3. Block out base colors. Each shape has a local color. I also jumped ahead and added in eyes and a mouth and buttons.
4. Refined the skin by adding in blushtones. Also finished the toy rocket by adding in highlights, shadows and details. Roughly added in hair tones.
5. Refined the hair by adding in highlighted streaks and gave him a few sprouts.
6. Focused on the clothes. Adding in highlights and shadows according to folds, wrinkles and light direction.
7.  Added in lines in jeans and shirt.
8. A few last minute subtle changes and there you go...a character!

Idea behind Character:
I've been studying the Atomic Age and learning a bit about Ray Bradbury. I wondered what he was like as a kid...even though he didn't grow up in the 1950s.

Inspiration comes from everywhere so live with your eyes wide open.


*If you use it then post a link in the comments and share your stuff! :)



Life update...
I've been working with a group of uber-talented students at UC Berkeley on a student short titled HorsePower. I've created a production blog for my second semester, so if you're curious about it you can check it out :here:

Outside of UC Berkeley, I'm taking a storyboarding class at Animation Collaborative with the very talented Louis Gonzales. If you are interested in storyboarding, take it. I've only been in the class 4ish weeks and have learned soooooooo much. I have a passion for story crafting and it's also helped me think about clarity in my work. I've been trying to decide whether or not to make a blog and upload my storyboards or not. Might put it off for awhile since I want to revisit some boards.

I've also been interning at PDI DreamWorks! I've been very blessed with opportunities to meet such great and again, amazingly talent folks at PDI. It's been an incredible experience to be a part of the machine that makes some of my favorite films. Had several "pinch-me" moments so far. One was getting to meet a few of the directors of the 2013 Oscars animated shorts...which are amazing if you haven't seen them! Also, looking back, my great-grandmother cut out a newspaper article about DreamWorks' first films, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, and how the artists had to figure out how to animate horses.  She sent it to me when I was about 10 and I still have that cut out article to remind me of my passion, even in rough times. :)

Well, that's long enough! Lol.

Cheers!
Alishea

2 comments:

  1. Great to see the update. I enjoy your boy concept. It shows when you're doing something for yourself. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete